17th International Conference on Semantic Systems, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 6 – 9, 2021, Special Sub-Topic: Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage
As a thematic extension of the general call of the SEMANTiCS2021 conference, this sub-topic invites high quality submissions that show how Semantic technologies have been applied to develop and improve humanities and cultural heritage research and practice. We invite both research papers describing novel approaches and insights as well as case studies and industry submissions.
Topics of Interest include but are not limited to:
- Cultural Heritage Ontologies and Vocabularies
- Semantic technologies for Digital Humanities
- Linked Data, Knowledge Graphs and Digital Humanities
- Semantic Search for Humanities and Digital Heritage
- Geo-semantics for Humanities and Digital Heritage
- Natural Language Processing for cultural heritage
- Approaches to support Humanities scholars accessing Semantic data
- Social Semantics for Humanities data
- Semantic technologies for Audio-Visual Data
- Historical Entity reconciliation on the Semantic Web
- Semantics and Hermeneutics
- Semantic Social Networks in Heritage data
- Semantic technologies in Digital Libraries
- Ethics & Semantics: humanising knowledge graphs, ethically-aware semantic tech
Author Guidelines and Submission for paper submissions
There are three tracks for which we invite submissions:
- Research and Innovation
- Posters and Demos
- Industry Contributions
Please find the calls and the Author Guidelines for each track here. Please select the special sub-topic “Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage” when submitting your paper.
Accepted research papers will be published by Springer in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science series. Posters & demos will be published in CEUR. Presentations of industry contributions will be published on the conference website.
We deviate from the main track in the following ways
We encourage the submission of short data papers (i.e. 1000-word descriptions of a dataset associated with the submitted papers) to the Journal of Open Humanities Data at the same time as the submission of research papers to the conference. The short data papers will be peer-reviewed according to the criteria of the Journal of Open Humanities Data and published in a special collection of the Journal. Please note that there is an Article Publishing charge associated with the publication in the journal.
– Best R&I DH paper award. Authors of the best papers submitted to the special sub-topic will be offered the possibility to submit an extended version of their work as a submission to the Semantic Web Journal Special Issue: Cultural Heritage and Semantic Web. These will be reviewed in a fast-track considering the extensions.
Review and Evaluation Criteria for paper submissions
Each submission will be reviewed by several PC members. The reviewing process is single-blind. Papers submitted to this sub-topic will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Originality, novelty, and innovativeness
- Impact of results
- Soundness of the evaluation
- Proper comparison to related work
- Clarity and quality of writing
Important Dates (Research & Innovation Track)
Abstract Submission Deadline: March 22, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Paper Submission Deadline: March 29, 2021 (11:59 pm,Hawaii time)
Notification of Acceptance: May 17, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Camera-Ready Paper: June 06, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Important Dates (Posters & Demos)
Paper Submission Deadline: May 24, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time
Notification of Acceptance: June 21, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time
Camera-Ready Paper: July 05, 2021 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Important Dates (Industry Track)
Presentation Submission Deadline: April 26, 2021 (11:59 p.m.,Hawaii time)
Notification of Acceptance: May 17, 2021 (11:59 p.m., Hawaii time)
Camera-Ready Presentation: July 26, 2021 (11:59 p.m., Hawaii time)
Submission of scientific papers, posters & demos via Easychair.
Submission of industry papers can be handed in here.
Proceedings of SEMANTiCS 2021 EU are planned to be published by Springer LNCS for the Research & Innovation papers and CEUR for Posters & Demos. Presentations of industry submissions will be made available on the conference page.