Frequently asked questions LOT Schools

I’m a member of another research school, am I allowed to participate?
The LOT schools are primarily meant for graduate students. This means that the schools are open to PhD students affiliated with one of the LOT institutesor other research institutes in the world. Research master students (RM) affiliated with one of the LOT institutes or the LOT partner institutes Leuven and Gent are welcome to participate. We cannot accommodate RM students affiliated with other research institutes or students in one-year MA programs.

See LOTSchool > General info > For whom

I’m a PhD student, am I allowed to participate in a RM1 course?
PhD students and RM2 students can enroll for these courses but we cannot guarantee their participation: RM1 students have priority.

See LOTSchool > General info > For whom

I’m a Research Master student, am I allowed to participate in a Research Discussion Group?
No, the Research Discussion Groups are open for PhD students only, since the topics of discussion are PhD's own research projects.

See LOTSchool > General info > Research discussion Groups

What should I do if I want to participate in another course than I registered for ?
For changes regarding your registration, including your courses, you have to fill out another registration form.

See LOTSchool > General info > Registration

What happens if I am ill during the school?
Firstly you have to contact your lecturer to let him/her know that you are absent. In order to earn a certificate, you have to participate in all five sessions of the course. So in case of illness there is no possibility for students to earn a certificate. This is the arrangement for RM1 courses as well as regular courses.

See LOTSchool > Credit assignment

What is necessary to receive 5 EC for a course?
First year RM students can earn 5 EC by participating in 2 RM1 courses (2,5 EC each) in the LOT winter school over the period of 1 week. RM students who finished two semesters of RM education and PhD students can earn 5 EC by participating in 4 regular courses (2 per week) and writing a paper. For more information, see the pages on credit assignment for winter- and summer schools.

See LOTSchool > Credit assignment

What are the requirements for writing a paper?
Whether or not a student has the option or obligation to write a paper differs per university, so check with your local coordinator before the school. For those universities who require their students to write a paper, it should be noted that students can only choose a LOT affiliated teacher as their supervisor (not one of the international or other non-LOT teachers).

The student needs to contact the supervising teacher during the LOT school, who has to agree on the content and set-up of the paper. The deadline for submitting a paper is set at 4 weeks after the end of the LOT school. Papers must be sent directly to the supervising lecturer. The lecturer then has 2 weeks to assess the work, and informs the LOT office of the outcome (pass/fail). If the paper fails, there is no possibility for the student to revise and resubmit. If the paper passes, the LOT office sends a certificate for 2 EC to the student for writing the paper. It is the student’s responsibility to have the credits signed off by their home university.

See LOTSchool > Credit assignment

Will the certificates be send automatically?
At most 8 weeks after the end of the class, the students who passed will receive automatically their LOT certificate from the LOT office.

See LOTSchool > General info > Certificate & Credits