LOT Publications Webshop
LOT has a small publishing component: the LOT Dissertation Series. This is meant for PhD students who work at a LOT institute. Books can be downloaded for free or ordered online in the LOT Publications Webshop.
General information for prospective authors
After having prepared a dissertation within one of the LOT-institutes, the author may wish to publish it in the LOT Dissertation Series. Any eligible author must first contact the dissertation coordinator of the LOT institute involved. The dissertation coordinators all are well informed about how to start and what information is needed.
- If the author is a regular PhD candidate of a LOT-institute, he/she (or the dissertation coordinator/secretary of the LOT institute) can contact LOT. LOT will then send all information regarding the procedures to the author.
- If the author is an external PhD candidate under the supervision of a LOT supervisor, the author first need permission of the LOT director to publish in the LOT series. The author is expected to send an email to LOT with the name(s) of the supervisor(s) and the table of contents of the dissertation. After approval, LOT will send all information regarding the procedures to the author.
The entire production process (from the first submission date to the delivery date of the books) takes an average of 23 working days. Please note that official holidays and anniversaries such as Christmas, Easter, Ascension Day are not considered working days. The LOT office is closed for 2 weeks for the Christmas holidays and for 3 to 4 weeks during the summer period, so please keep in mind that the printing process will take longer during this period.
The ‘Pedel Date’
We encourage prospective authors to contact the LOT office in an early stage, and at least 12 weeks before delivery of the books. Check with your university for the ‘pedel date’, the official date at which you need to hand in the books. The ‘pedel date’ is usually three to four weeks before the defense ceremony, so your books should be delivered the day before this date at the latest. In practice, this means that you should make arrangements with LOT at least 4 months before your defense date. A rush processing service is available for requests that reach the LOT office within 2 weeks of the first deadline of the production schedule; candidates will be billed an additional 100 euros for this service.
After acceptance as LOT author:
- Make sure you are well informed with respect to the guidelines of your university with regard to your defence as well as the guidelines related to the dissertation.
- You will get a message from LOT containing all information needed. LOT has a Follow-Up Scheme. Read it carefully and act in accordance with the instructions.
- After LOT has received your answers to the questionnaire, the procedure can be started. LOT will calculate the deadlines and prepare the contract. Put the deadlines in your calendar. Note that these deadlines are the end dates. If your thesis is ready before the deadline contact LOT. LOT and the printer (Hollandridderkerk) might be able to get everything ready sooner, so that you will have the books at an earlier date.